Pages

A Fun Week Around The RGV...

Sunday, July 13, 2014


Quick Re-Cap


Hello, hello! I have had the most fantastic week. I spent almost everyday with Eddie, Mia and Jade. I got A's in both of my summer classes and just relaxed and went exploring around McAllen. I purchased a lot of clothing and I'm thinking of doing a haul sometime soon. One of my favorite purchases was a Mac Demarco shirt I got on Etsy and it's absolutely adorable. I love Mac's little gap and I was so excited to wear it. I leave to Seattle on Wednesday so I've been preparing an itinerary for my trip and doing a lot of online shopping which means I have a bunch of new clothes and accessories to take with me to Seattle. I made sure to be productive with my time this week since I am not going to summer school. I even finished a 400 page book! 

McAllen Public Library

If you live in the Rio Grande Valley I suggest checking out the McAllen Public Library. It used to be a Walmart store so you can just imagine how many books are stored in this wonderful facility. On Monday, before I drove over to library I registered online for my library card. Once I got inside the library with proof of address + ID I was able to obtain my library card and now I have access to everything that McAllen Library has to offer. I checked out a book for myself, books for Mia and Jade, travel guide to Seattle and a DVD. I am encouraging my little sisters to read more by taking them to the library and letting them pick out whichever book they would like to read. I gave them a week to finish their book and we will go back tomorrow to check out new books because we all finished our books. I decided to read 'Z a novel of Zelda Fitzgerald' by Therese Anne Fowler and it is a must read if you enjoy reading about the lost generation. Fowler manages to capture such detailed imagery in the novel, it was written extremely well. I finished the novel in just two days because it was so captivating. If you do decide to read the novel I suggest reading 'This Side of Paradise' beforehand. Also, let me know if you read it because I'm dying to talk to about the book. It's the most heart-breaking story and I have absolutely no one to talk about it with. The novel inspired me to travel, live in different countries, write short stories, learn french and continue to lead an unconventional lifestyle.  

International Museum of Art and Science (IMAS)

I enjoy museums and love admiring art. The IMAS is a museum in McAllen with a small but educational art and science section. The art section was large in comaprison to the science section. It was interesting and most of the art pieces were Latin American. They also have a nice large playground outside that my sisters enjoyed playing on. The science exhibit is quite small but interactive. Eddie and I enjoyed acting like kids playing all the game hands-on games with my sisters. All in all, it was a fun, educational and good experience at the IMAS.


Flamingo Bowl + Moonbeans 

I am absolutely horrible at bowling. I can't even bowl over 100. It's quite sad and embarrassing but it's always fun to bowl with your family. I spent the afternoon bowling with my dad and sisters. Mia and Jade were still getting the hang of it so they had a lot of gutter balls. I had a lot of gutter balls just because I am awful at bowling. After a few games of bowling we went to Moonbeans for coffee (for me) and to spend some time reading. My sisters and I finished the day by baking some glazed chocolate donuts at home. 

Before My Trip...

Tomorrow I am going to go to the library to pick up a book to read during my trip to Seattle. I am also going to get travel size items and start packing because I have to leave Tuesday because I am flying out of Austin at 6:00 a.m. Wednesday morning. I am going to stay with my friend Viv once I get to Austin and I'm excited to reunite with her because it's been over a month since I last hung out with her. I am anxious to travel and I can't believe I am leaving on Wednesday. My itinerary is packed with visits to museums, parks, libraries, bookstores, record stores, rose gardens, good eats, bars and even the Rogue Brewery in Portland. I will be vlogging and taking plenty of pictures for my blog.

Music to my ears...

I've been listening to The Velvet Underground + Nico on repeat this week. I found my CD that I purchased when I was in Middle School and it's still in great condition. If you've never listened to the entire album I suggest you add it to your list. It's one of the greatest albums ever recorded. Andy Warhol produced the art-rock progressive album. I love the songs with Nico, I find her voice soothing and unique. I hope you enjoy it. 

The Velvet Underground + Nico - I'll Be Your Mirror


Thanks for reading!
love,
deb

P.S. read 'Z'! :p

No comments:

Post a Comment