Pages

The morbid thoughts of an occasional drinker...

Sunday, March 8, 2015

It's quite odd the feelings and emotions you go through when you are drinking. It brings about a person in which you truly not are. The being within you, the non being. The someone you aspire or don't aspire to be. I don't drink that often or maybe I do. In the eyes of my parents I may drink too often. Sometimes, I can drink too much. I don't see it as a problem. I think it's normal, it's a part of my social life. I enjoy drinking a beer and having intellectual conversations. When the drops of alcohols trickle down my throat the thoughts of news, films, politics, music and podcasts come to fruition. In a way, drinking brings out a side of you that may be unfamiliar. A side in which, you can truly be yourself. I'm quite shy but if I've had a few beers try keeping me quiet. It varies though, alcohol is a weird drug. A dangerous drug that can easily be life threatening. It's odd how strongly it's encouraged to drink. Drinking can lead to alcoholism and even your own death. That's something you don't often hear when you are at a restaurant or a bar. I recently visited a liquor store to purchase a four pack of craft beer and it had been two years since I set foot into a liquor store. I thought about the guy standing in line behind me. Does he come here often? Is he attending a party this evening, or is he drinking alone? A thought that left my mind to wonder. It's so normal and okay to drink. You're an American, dammit. You are free to do what you want. Haha, I hope you can sense my sarcasm. I was listening to Marc Maron's podcast with Robin Williams last night and it was probably the saddest interview I've ever heard. The true struggle of an unhappy man speaking about alcohol and cocaine as if it was okay. They even talked about suicide. It deeply saddened me. Such a successful and inspiring actor dealing with alcoholism and drug addiction. It made me wonder if you can ever truly be happy and satisfied with life... 

Deb 

No comments:

Post a Comment