Pages

Back to reality...

Wednesday, June 24, 2015


Hi readers!
I hope you all have been lovely. I missed writing in my blog while on vacation but I definitely needed a break from everything. I had the most incredible vacation in New York City with Eddie. It was extremely hard to leave the city because I fell in love with it all over again. I felt like that is where I belong and need to be. The city is filled with art, creativity, music, comedy and it was hard to come back to the dull and flat land of the Rio Grande Valley. Oh well, I'm back here now and summer school has started, it's pretty intense so far. I've been constantly busy because I'm taking three classes per summer session but it will be worth when I am graduating in December and finally moving away from the valley. I'm moving to Austin or the suburbs of Austin in late December or early January. It's very exciting to be moving away again. I will be attending graduate school in the area but I'm not quite sure if I want to take off a semester before I start. I guess we'll see how burnt out I am by graduation. Well, that was a quick recap of what I'm currently doing. Now, let's talk about my wonderful vacation and how I hope to move to the city after grad school.

New York City


My vacation was beyond what I envisioned. I had a wonderful time. There is so much going on in the city, I don't think you could ever find yourself bored. Eddie and I thought seven days would be enough time but we were wrong. We didn't get to do a lot of things on our list that we had planned but we still had a blast. This just means that we have to back very soon! I'd be lying if I said I couldn't see myself living in NYC in a couple of years. It would be a smart career choice for me. Texas doesn't really offer any opportunities for my future career goals and dreams. If I do end up in the city in a few years that would be incredible and it would be a big step toward achieving my dreams. Lets hope it happens! As of right now, I can only dream and reflect upon my experiences of being back in the city that never seems to sleep.

The Comedy Cellar

The Comedy Cellar is the best stand up club in the city. I've always had a love for the art of comedy and it has been growing lately so Eddie and I made two reservations at the club. After years of watching 'Louie' I finally got to see what the cellar actually looks like and experience it as an audience member. I highly suggest making reservations because it is quite simple. You just go to their website and pick a time and date and pick how many people are in your party. Upon check-in you simply state your name and you get a seating card. When you enter the famous cellar you see pictures of comedians on the surrounding walls in the hallway. They are very old pictures, so it was pretty funny to see some of my favorite comedians when they were young. When I finally entered the main room I noticed how tiny the cellar actually is. Any seat is a good seat. The first time we went we sat on the side of the stage and the second we sat directly in front of the comedians. I had the best time here! They have a wonderful staff that truly appreciates comedy and you never who is going to stop by and want to do a quick set. I was hoping Louis C.K. would stop by, but he didn't. Both nights were absolutely hilarious though. I saw about six comedians each night and I was laughing non-stop. If I ever lived in New York City I could see myself spending so much time here. There is a lot of talent and it's just the greatest experience. 

Museum of Modern Art (MoMA)

I'm in love with this museum. My favorite type of artwork is modern and abstract and the MoMA is filled with it. You do need at least five or six hours to see everything in the museum. There is just so much and you don't want to miss out on any exhibit that they have. They have a great collection of Pablo Picasso, Andy Warhol and Claude Monet. I stood in awe just admiring these artist's famous works. It was truly a remarkable experience. They even had Vincent van Gogh paintings! I saw the ever so famous 'Starry Night'.  They only had a few Vincent van Gogh painting and they were absolutely stunning. I also saw artwork from Salvador Dali who is probably one of my favorite painters. He is a surrealist painter and his artwork is odd but you can't seem to look away. It was great to see it up close and admire his bizarre style. 

New York City Public Library
This has to be the most beautiful library I've ever seen. Every room you step in has stunning architecture, marble floors and art. I can only imagine the amount of time I would spend in that library if I ever moved to New York City. I don't even think we saw half of it in the time we spent at the library. It was nice just to sit and admire everything the library had to offer. They even had a cute little gift shop which I absolutely loved. 

Brooklyn Art Museum

The Brooklyn Art Museum is a must see if you are in the area. The building is located right next to Prospect Park so we took a stroll through there when we left which was nice. The museum was pretty great because it goes by donations so you can pay as little or as much as you'd like. I went with the suggested student pricing which was $10. The museum was quite large and had so many exhibits we didn't even get to see all of them. It was nice and a I would definitely go back and spend more time visiting all the exhibits.
The Book of Mormon


If you are in New York City or have the chance to see 'The Book of Mormon' on tour I highly suggest you go. It was my first "broadway experience" and Eddie and I had such a fun time. Before the show, we grabbed a drink at a nearby bar and then walked over to the Eugene O' Neil theatre. I won't say much about the play other than that I was literally crying from laughing so hard. Matt Stone and Trey Parker truly deserve all the praise they have received. It's a hysterical, fun and wonderful show to attend. 

The Nightly Show

I have seen every episode of 'The Nightly Show' since it started this year so I had to be a part of the studio audience. Tickets were free, I just had to request them in advance online. It was a cool experience and Larry Wilmore actually came out and spoke with the audience before the show started. It was awesome to see him in action, he is truly a remarkable talent and I'm glad he has his own show. Also, Ilana Glazer and Abbi Jacobson from 'Broad City' were on that night. I was super excited because we saw them as they were entering the building but I was too shy to ask for a picture or say hi, lol (regretting that now). I would love to be a part of the studio audience again.

Brooklyn Brewery

I made it to my favorite brewery guys! Eddie and I drank A LOT because it was the night before his birthday. We had a great time though and got to try a lot of new Brooklyn beers we had never heard of or tried before. It was free to get in and then you had to purchase beer bucks to get the beer. It was only $20 for 5 tokens and each beer was 1 token or 2 tokens for the stronger beers. We ended up getting about 10 tokens because we love IPAs and most of those beers were 2 tokens. Great time, nice people and awesome beer! 

Metropolitan Museum of Art (MET)



If you ever plan on visiting the MET you are going to need a full week here to see the entire art museum. It is HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE, I am not even exaggerating. It seemed as if it there were a never ending amount of exhibits. It was probably the greatest museum I've ever visited and I've been to all of the Smithsonian museums in D.C. Maybe it's because I love art, but this is truly a special place in New York. This is a museum I would get a membership to if I move in the future. I could see myself spending hours in there just writing and admiring the beauty of the art and the building itself. 


Austin
Then, after our long and much needed vacation in New York we ended up back in Austin because we won free tickets to see a taping of Courtney Barnett at ACL Live. You guys don't even know how excited I was. She has been one of my favorite artist ever since her EP came out and I had so much fun jumping around and singing all the lyrics to her song. I can't wait for Eddie and I to move to Austin, we are going to have such a fun life together there. I seriously can't wait to move!

Well thanks for reading guys, this post took me almost two weeks because I've been bombarded with schoolwork. It sucks, but like I said it will be all worth it when I am done. I just have to keep telling myself that. I hope you all are having a great summer. I'll just be in school and studying so hopefully it just goes by quickly. I'm not a big fan of heat or the summer so I can't wait for the fall and cooler weather. Anyway, thanks again for reading my long post. I hope you enjoyed it. Have a good rest of the week lovely readers.





A little jizz jazz from Mac.

Another One - Mac DeMarco

P.S. Marc Maron posted his interview with President Barack Obama on his podcast, WTF. It's a great conversation. I highly suggest listening to it, the President is quite a remarkable person and you get great insight on the amount of pressures that he deals with on a day to day basis. You also feel a sense of hope and optimism as he speaks, I truly enjoyed it and I know you will too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment